Me

My photo
Read my blog, listen to my shows, read my books...then you'll know me. Thanks.

3.26.2005

The N.A.A.C.P. Image awards

Even though the N.A.A.C.P. did their thing back in the day to ensure civil rights and freedom for you and I, how hard are they working for us today?

The N.A.A.C.P. image awards lives up to it's name. In my opinion, even if this is the only thing they are collectively doing right now, so be it. The N.A.A.C.P. is sending a statement worldwide, a positive BLACK image that is one of strength, courage, talent, eloquence, passion, creativity and intelligence. An image that is distinguished, powerful, and an image moves mountains and overcomes all odds.

I AM SO PROUD TO BE BLACK MORE SO THAN EVER TONIGHT! I am glad that I come from a group of people who can send a message loud, clear, and distinct, such as this-and reiterate to everyone that we are not what mainstream media wants them to think. We come from a impressive line of legacy that dates back to evolution, to King Tut, to our ancestors who made their transition to the unknown world as slaves, to the abolitionists, and leaders like Tubman, and W.E.B. DuBois who relinquished the chains of mental struggle and strife. The likes of Marcus Garvey, Madame C.J. Walker, to Dr. King, Malcolm X, Shirley Chisholm, to the current Barack Obama, Dr. Cornell West, Oprah.

We are a group of beautiful people. We need to recognize that and uphold ourselves to the IMAGE that the people who walked the rock before us did. I am proud to be me.

The awards represented more than legacy. It was a way for us to honor each other and the work that we do and don't get credit for. There is nothing better than validation and acceptance from your own people.

Oprah is truly PHENOMENAL.
Regina king is real as fuck! And that's why I love her.
Prince is a KING! That set was simply breathtaking.

This award show surpasses any other. And I am so glad that the awards so was full of grace and it showcased us at our best-and reminded me that I must press on and continue to make a path not only for myself, but for the people who will follow in my footsteps.

I will uphold the positive Black Image.

No comments: