Me

My photo
Read my blog, listen to my shows, read my books...then you'll know me. Thanks.

7.20.2005

In The Meantime....

I've always said it.
I always mean it.

I LOVE BLACK MEN. Even if they do pull stupid shit...not that I expect them to...but hell you never know. I love BLACK MEN...THERE IS NOTHING LIKE A BLACK MAN.

Last night, I had the esteemed pleasure of sharing my book, At This Moment with the wonderful men of In The Meantime! I was really nervous...more so because I've been getting mixed reviews of my book. And for a project to be your baby and your first one out the gate, and you know the story behind the work-you have a different (and whole) understanding than the reader, consumer, supporter...whatever.

I never shared this recently, but a yahoo group circulated the first chapter of my book, which is readily available on my website. I got wind of it...needless to say they let my book have-it and said some really fucked up shit about it-and just tore it down. I felt it was unwarranted, but whatever...anyway one of the members was in the group tonight. LOL...he made it really clear that he wasn't feeling me, and even tried to throw a screwball question at me (which was a test). I love myself because I am articulate and I can handle adversity and shade well...a guy that I've met before told me tonight, "All it takes is one negative comment." Fortunately the way I look at my negative is my 3,000 sales in the can. How about that for negative! KISS MY ASS MESSY BITCHES! (LOL...Jus Playin...but on the real tho...quit h8tn hoe)

The vibe was positive, and I did something different than most readings. I read something new and tested it out on the guys there....I told them "Keep in mind that Imma artist and I'm sensitive about my shit!" They enjoyed my excerpts even the juicy sex scene that I read aloud for the first time ever...I can't believe I wrote that...LOL...But they gave me props and told me genuinely, sincerely nice comments that I thoroughly appreciated! It truly made me stronger in discussing and sharing my work, I feel the growth. They all asked great questions, which really translated into their interest in the project and their overall welcoming of me into their space, I think I want to join their group...in fact I will.

Jeffrey King, the Executive Director of In The Meantime, is a phenomenal man to me. He's so gorgeous to me and he always has nice and positive things to say. I love and cherish every phone call and interaction with him because he definitely sheds new light with every stroke of his word. And he's my boyfriend in my head...

This event was the highlight of my book tour so far. I think it means a lot because these are men from my city-and it allowed me to dispel a few things about my book and more so they got a chance to meet me as a person and hear my experience with this project first hand. I didn't have a problem giving them privy to this information...it makes a better read for them and besides they've changed the way I feel about men from my city.

I'm full. I am living out my dream of helping people within the struggle...there is nothing more rewarding than being able to reach someone and let them know they aren't alone.

I think for the first time I realized I am attracted to older men...that doesn't mean some of yall aint gotta chance!

So much stuff this week, two days left and I hate combining my multiple topics in one blog...but I may try it. I've got to tell you about Alphonso Morgan and his book Sons, and I have a few other house keeping rules! I am tired and I am going to sleep!

Shot Outs to: Jeff King, Ron Jackson, Donald Bradford, Smiling, Shawn TaQuan, Paris, Erika, Ebony, and to you, the reader for reading my blog daily!

I love what I do for you...
I won't know that you're here unless you tell me...

6 comments:

Holiday N said...

I think you are so freakin brave for putting yourself out there.And it's great that you are going out there with the understanding that your book will not be great to everyone.Listen to the negatives but don't take it personal and remember that there are people that do/will love it.Kill em' with the next one TRENT or is it Mr. Jackson cuz I'm nasty?Thanxx for the b-day shout out!

ShawnQt said...

Glad you had a wonderful time! Good that you are adapting how you present yourself and your book.

Frederick Smith said...

I'm sorry I missed your reading at In The Meantime... when the day job calls, you gotta answer :-)

Hope everything was cool, even with the fun and also the challenging questions and comments.

fs

IQ said...

Congrats on a successful reading...

While feedback is excellent [and perhaps I am speaking prematurely cuz I haven't purchased and read your book yet: it could be a total piece of shyt!] my mother had to remind me recently when I was going thru some school thangs: Don't ever feel that anyone else has the power or authority to validate you. U know your strengths and quality and worth, no matter if others see or speak this, too! Like Salt n Pepa say, Opinions are like assholes.... EVERYBODY has one!

Ricky said...

I do agree with Holiday, you are brave for sharing these things with us on your blog man. I actually forwarded the url to your blog to some friends of mine. Like I told you before I am still deciding whether or not to do a blog of my own. Buy anywho, keep doing you Mr. Trent Jackson and I along with others will definitely keep reading.

Valentino said...

Thats some good stuff... Singing...Its the stuff that dreams are made of...you worked hard for that...