Me

My photo
Read my blog, listen to my shows, read my books...then you'll know me. Thanks.

3.06.2007

God...I mean Oprah has endorsed Barack Obama! Why Shouldn't I?

Oprah (I mean God) has endorsed the man. It's done, he's gonna win, unless Hilary puts on her George Bush Halloween costume, becomes that man that she always was, will always be and turns into a diabolical genius and steals the election...

I was overjoyed that a black man, for the second time in my life was taking a chance at running this country. Although, I had my reservations - Are they really gonna let a black man win? But then I thought about it - why wouldn't he win? It seems as if, everyone is focused on his name - and that he's mixed! So freakin' what! Hilary is more popular and what is so annoying is that these ignant ass niggas followin a white person (it doesn't surprise me...) just "cus" they think she's our friend, "cus" her husband can play the saxophone smoke weed and get his dick sucked in office...they think that's cute. But it doesn't mean that he, Barack, just "cus" he's black is gonna be our savior either...but damn, can't we give him a chance to prove himself, instead of just talkin' about his name and his "mixed" status...

Okay...maybe thats too far but:

1) Why is everyone assuming that Barack Obama is Muslim?
2) And why should it matter?

People are just assuming that, because of his name he's affiliated with Farra"can" an' nem. When Obama first hit the mainstream scene, after Oprah, prior to announcing his candidacy for the White House, I constantly heard jokes about him being associated with Osama bin Laden and Sadaam Hussein (because his middle name is Hussein). At first I thought folks were joking...but apparently not. Now people...don't you think that's a little ignorant?

The man was named some 45 years ago...when it wasn't socially acceptable for his parents together, not even mentioning birthing a mixed race child, before the Taliban (George Bush and his crew) was even thinkin about the Twin Towers...before the shit was even standing straight up like a hard dick...

Black folks have names that don't in any way represent who we really are (Starmeesha, Sharquenta, LaQuita, Evatunisha...), and we've got the nerve to judge someone's heritage because of their name? We are not British, we are not Irish, we are not Norwegian, French, or Portuguese or Dutch...at least not directly anyway. Yet because of where we come from our names represent that, but no one assumes our culture because of it.

Obama is not Arab-American. He is African-American. And not that fake generic African-American they try to tell us all black people are. I hate that. Now I've heard a few people say he can't be trusted because of his name. But we have time and time again put this country in the hands of people with "common" names, like George, Ronald, Abraham (who allegedly freed the slaves...what about Harriett Tubman, Levi Coffin, Booker T. Washington?) and Bill...who have direct links with Arab nations and have had dinner with them, shook hands with them, and sold them weapons...and here we are worried about a name.

Okay, I'm going to bed now...I was just thinking out loud...oh, and I finally combed my hair this evening...maybe I'll shave in the morning...

7 comments:

Ladynay said...

Mr. Black man hasn't said nothing yet to make me think he is the one...no one else has either, but they all have time to say something worth my vote.

Ummmm can you get that braided? Fried and laid to side? Cut off? Something? ROFL Not that I am against bushes but my my my...

Anonymous said...

Barack is just there, just because. He's not going to win.

Hilary is a white man so she automatically wins. Trent I love your skin, but your hair, cut that quick

That Dude Right There said...

Quit ranting about politics and give us some gossip Afro Willy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dancehard said...

ooh damn why are the fans letting you have it about your hair. I personally like it. ANYWAYS, I totally agree with you about this insanity involving BO's name. I don't care if his name is Jaekwon Kilolo bin Laden Hussein...i believe he will run the HELL out of this country and put some damn common sense and responsibility back into our government entities.
Leave the name calling on the playground is what I say.

Albert said...

Wassup Trent and fellow readers. I thought you might be interested in finding out a little more about Barack Obama and where is heart really is. Here are two websites that will begin to answer the questions of whether is black enough and where his political thought lies. www.tucc.org This is the website of his church in Chicago. Very Afrocentric Congregational church with the largest black membership of any UCC church in the country. www.barackobama.com This is his campaign website that introduces he and his wife and talks about the work he has done in Congress on a variety of issues.

This issue can be discussed in terms of black and white. Barack Obama might be the best person to lead this country back to international respect and begin taking care of the poor and Middle Class. I believe he is the real deal.

kristen said...

um trent...

has anyone ever told you that you look like the Cowardly Lion? i swear everytime i see a picture of you (especially this one!LOL) i can't help thinking of the Cowardly Lion

all you need is a fur coat and a red ribbon in your hair and you are good to go!

The Captain said...

Obama is not qualified.