Me

My photo
Read my blog, listen to my shows, read my books...then you'll know me. Thanks.

4.24.2007

New Music Tuesday: Joe

Joe is one of the few male R&B artists that I will buy on name alone. He's also one that has managed to stay a float, make himself quasi-popular and do I dare say make an impact on R&B music?

In an industry/genre where to you don't get too many good or even great male singers - certain ones immediately come to mind (Marvin Gaye, Luther Vandross, Gerald LeVert, Brian McKnight) You always forget Joe. Not that you want to, or even that he's a bad singer, you always think Ginuwine or even Bobby Brown before you remember...Joe. Oh yeah...him....

He's churned out hits like, "All The Things (Your Man Wont Do) "I Wanna Know," and "More & More." We can't forget his duet with Case, "Faded Pictures." But with all the memorable solo songs, it was the duet with Mariah Carey, "Thank God I found you," that almost gave him the boost that he needed. He's barley gone platinum, never awarded a Grammy or American Music Award - but that doesn't take away his song writing ability nor does it discredit his ability to sing a ballad, or give me the late night chill groove that I like so much. Joe is undeniably one of my favorite male singers...however, I'm sitting out on his new CD, "Ain't Nothing Like Me."

I'm undecided. It has all of the trappings of his previous four CD's. It has the same formula, great lyrics, great music, great producers - but there was something missing to me. It seems as if he took too long of a break or perhaps his personal life isn't all the way there and it shows in his music, especially on the track, "It's Me," which is so typical of men...yikes. Can we be more original?

The lead single, "If I Was Your Man," gives me classic Joe. Gave me the impression that I was getting a fresh of breath air, finally. But suddenly I felt like a fish out of water upon first listen. While the same formula works for some artists and it worked for him a little while, I wish some artists would break out and do something a little different from norm without jeopardizing their integrity. The perfect example of this would be...I would go with Brandy. Does something different and we're getting a good CD, we'll never get another 'Full Moon' just like Michael will never give us another 'Thriller' - Joe will never give us another 'And Then...' which is his best CD to date.

I don't know if it's me wanting to be nice to him, because I like him. But his CD didn't do it for me. I won't fail him because I usually get 5 good tracks out of a CD, I got 7 out of 14 which is solid, good, okay by some right - but I support him because I like him...

Standout Tracks: If I was Your Man, My Love, Ain't Nothing Like Me, It's Me, Let's Just Do It, Love Is Just A Game, Life Of The Party.

P.S. I have a strong feeling that Mario will bring it this summer...

3 comments:

Marz said...

Have you heard Ms. bennett's first single?


I'm liking it, but the lyrics are giving me too much Beyonce and Kierra Clark Sheard. Also, she sings too well for all the overproduced beats, and the hood effect she's bringing.



-Marz

kennyking78 said...

I hear you on the Joe tip. I have not purchased the cd and am not sure if I am going to. I only like a select few male performers, and while Joe is one of them, I am not all that geeked up about him. I think it is because he was never marketed correctly. He has the same style (clothes, look, etc) that he had way back in the day. Though I appreciate that musically, I just could never understand, for the life of me, why Joe always seemed like he would be that one BORING friend in the group.

I am loving his first single though. He did give me something to listen to right there.

Quaheem said...

Hip Hop killed Soul Music....

R&B needs to find a new direction...

and unfortunately Joe is a victim.