Me

My photo
Read my blog, listen to my shows, read my books...then you'll know me. Thanks.

3.02.2009

Remembering Shelton Jackson

It was four years ago. A brisk night in Los Angeles served as the backdrop for me, a then headstrong 22 year old promoting my first novel “At This Moment,” at an event at Jewel’s Catch One nightclub.

I thought he was cute. He was mildly obnoxious, drunk – but very warm, friendly and we instantly connected. He was a writer, I was a writer. He was outspoken, I was outspoken. We shared our work; we shared our stories of struggle both personally and professionally. We had an understanding and the bond of being a black gay man in America held us together.

Shelton S. Jackson became a friend of mine that night. Even though we lived on different sides of the country we kept in touch as best as we could. We always sent each other motivating messages and consistently gave each other support to keep going in our creative efforts in the Black SGL community in which we serve.

Shelton had been ill over the last couple of months – and I was saddened to hear that he passed away this afternoon.

I will always hold our conversations and hangouts to heart! I will forever keep his memory alive…

Shelton lives! He made his mark on the world - his life is forever infinite. Through his work, he used his life as an example that you can make it and live your dreams no matter what happens.
Shelton S. Jackson
2.4.78 - 3.2.09

7 comments:

JNez said...

awful news indeed. all of our hearts are heavy today remembering shelton.

Jamar Herrod said...

R.I.P. Shelton.

Keisha Kornbread said...

I feel an emptyness inside of me....

Lonnell said...

Thank you Trent for sharing your beautiful words.

Anonymous said...

Shelton thank you for your beautiful presence and wisdom contributed to my life.
RIP, SMD0902

Ladynay said...

May he rest in peace.

kritzmoritz said...

I am scared...and I need to know. Does AIDS still kill young people? How could he die? We have drugs and he is ambitious. How could he then die? So AIDS still kills this much