Me

My photo
Read my blog, listen to my shows, read my books...then you'll know me. Thanks.

4.16.2010

Pictures Say 1,000 Words

Adam Irby, Trent Jackson, D.J. Baker, Shorty Roc, Dwight O'Neal
New York City
October 2007

I remember it like yesterday. The first time I went to New York City to launch my 2nd novel, Full Circle.
It was a great moment in my life that was overshadowed by drama. It was a mixture of things, the way I responded to situations, things I had to learn on my own - and being popular. I learned a lot. I had a great time interacting with the guys and for the first time I really felt like I fit in somewhere. The five of us clicked extremely well. It seemingly felt like we had known each other our whole lives. It was a defining moment. For once I had made friends with other gay men and sex wasn't a pre-requisite for friendship. I was happy.
I was inspired. I was hopeful. I was blessed. 

3 years later. Oh...3 years later. So many things have changed. So many things have been said. So many things have happened. I was in New York 7 days and did not speak to one of them. 

I felt some kind of way about it. 

That brisk fall, I met five amazing black men. I met them at the core. They held no anger. They held no resentment. There was no pretense. There was no silent shade. It was all in love. It was perfect.

But we all know nothing is perfect.

I can't wait to relive the moment in the photo...

No comments: