Me

My photo
Read my blog, listen to my shows, read my books...then you'll know me. Thanks.

1.18.2011

Fighting For Whats Right, Revisited

Hi my name is Trent Jackson! I excel at everything I do, I get what I want and I always win. Nice to make your acquaintance.
It might take a minute but I get what I want. I say what I mean and I mean what I say. I also come and go as I please, get what I want and I always win. The sooner you get, understand and accept that, the better off you'll be. In my previous post, Fighting For Whats Right, I talked about the ups and downs of being young, educated, professional Black Male in a entry level management position for a Government agency. Needless to say, the road to acclimation has been far from easy, especially where decisions are concerned.

One thing is for sure, I know exactly what I want and I know it when I see it. Not to brag, but I have a knack for knowing when something will and will not work. I can't explain it, I just know it.

For the last month or so I've refused to process any new hire paperwork because upper management made a few grossly negligent decisions that I didn't agree with. I'm sorry, but I'm at a point in my life where I can not be apart of incompetence on any level - it's not my job to go along with illogical thoughts, ideas and suggestions. It is my job to be the sounding board and inject life into situations that I encounter; this being one of them. I exercised all of my possible power to the limit and some, just to make sure the right decision was made.

For whatever idiotic reason (being drunk on haterade) my boss, Mr. Niggadamus Jones did not want "Larry Hoover" to get the position that was open in my office. I pushed for Larry Hoover because he is the right fit - not because we occasionally go out to lunch or because I think he's hot. Those are only enhancements to his stellar customer service, his work ethic, his follow through and his ability to learn. I see the way Larry interacts with people in our office and other offices. Whenever a technician is need and Larry responds, I always get excellent feedback. 80% of the new position involves interacting with other Federal employees and assisting them with any computer network issues they are experiencing. Larry does exceptional work - and because of my capacity as office manager, I interact with him and other office staff more because usually upper management is out of touch.

My bosses main issue with Larry was he didn't have enough technical experience. Okay? So we'd have to train an outside person on our system anyway - the same training Larry would get or any other person (Larry was the best internal candidate hands down. One guy had been here 10 years and just now wants to make a move and the other was not personable enough to interact with other Federal staff) who came from the outside. It wasn't a valid enough excuse and I totally got irritated and didn't do any work. I boycotted their ass like a negro in the 60's. I REFUSED TO BE DENIED! YOU WILL HEAR ME!

So they picked some external candidate that was cool - but ran his fuckin' mouth too much. I don't do talkers...but anyway, I was okay with the decision, but I told them in the meeting after his initial interview that he was a slacker, lazy and wasn't motivated enough for the job, so to be ware. I also told them if any disciplinary actions came across my desk, I would not enforce them because it would be a lesson for them to value their internal candidates and send a clear message that they are important, appreciated and thankful for their most prized possession: the human resource.

Of course I was met with more resistance. Even though I felt fantastic for asserting myself, I still felt some defeat. I knew that I had done the right thing, but I knew they had made the wrong choice. Two days in, the internal candidate quit.

The new hire who I call, Spazzer called me on my Government sponsored BlackBerry and pleaded. He just talked, and talked and kept fucking talking about how sorry he was, but his old job was offering more money, they wanted him back, blah, blah, blah...hmmm. Of course my craft shady wheels were turning. I told him to go on ahead and go home (Wednesday) enjoy the rest of his week and start his new job on Monday! Do you! If a job is paying your ass more than we are...NO BRAINER! You get a telework day every week, better benefits, etc. If you don't get out of Larry Hoovers cubicle so he can do his job. :-/

So of course the scramble begins...management calls this "urgent" final hour meeting once word broke - talking about how we have to do another round of interviews. I objected and sternly warned them, if they did not listen to the advice of HR (me) I would have no other choice to bring the matter to the attention of the office of personnel management. That is a Federali's worst nightmare. I then told them that Larry Hoover would fill the position, so again I was met with resistance and opposition.

I went to the head of the department and told him that he had to pick an internal candidate to remedy the situation - thank God we were on the same page, because he pissed off that Spazzer quit, but before I walked out of his office he said, "I think you were right, we should have went with Larry." Hmph.

The next day Spazzer came in to return his badge and as soon as he was buzzed into the office,  Mr. Niggadamus Jones yelled to the top of his lungs, "This is my office, you need to get the fuck out, you don't work here anymore!" Then instructed me to call security.

**PAUSE**

You want me to call security and you're using profanity against someone who is trying to follow procedure and turn in their equipment? Girl please.I didn't call security, I immediately called his boss and let him hear the confrontation as it went down. :-/ Bitch I'm not the one...let me show you a few tricks.

Within minutes - Niggadamus' boss was there, surveying the situation. Of course all was clear and Niggadamus was pretending as if nothing had happened and he just hadn't lost his cool. I mean he was fresh off of a bi-polar adrenaline kick episode. Where they do that at? He musta been watching them white people on lifetime. They the only people on the face of the planet that get mad and then act like nothing happened. Niggas let you know they pissed. :-/

So anyway...after a long holiday weekend, I open my email and I see an email to my entire office. It read:

All,



Please join me in congratulating Larry Hoover on his promotion to the Network Operations group as a LAN Administrator I. The selection process was difficult as we had a number of good candidates from our Desktop Support Team.

- Niggadamus Jones

You can be dry, salty and hate all you wanna! But in case you didn't know, My name is Trent Jackson! I excel at everything I do, I get what I want and I always win. Nice to make your acquaintance. Oh yes...The moral of the story, delay isn't always defeat. You don't know what God is going to do, to ensure you win.

No comments: